Chocolate swirl nails.
A few of my favorite things. It’s a long post and will bore most of you, unless you are into nail health and making your manicures last longer! These are some of my “can’t live without” nail products. I have more but these are key for me.
Disclaimer: Not all products work the same for all people. Body chemistry plays a part. These all work great for me but sometimes you have to do a lot of trial and error to find what works for you.
1. Pure, unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil. I rub this into my cuticles and under my free edge nightly (yes, with polish on). I also rub coconut oil or avocado oil into my nails before I paint them. I let it sit for a minute or two, rub off with a dry towel and paint. Contrary to conventional wisdom, you do not have to rub the oils off your nails prior to painting. Salons often rub acetone on your nails to dry them before polish, but this actually makes the polish less durable.
2. Blue Cross cuticle remover. This huge bottle is available at Sally’s and will last forever. I decant it into an old, cleaned out nail polish bottle for easier use.
3. A stainless steel cuticle pusher. This one is by Cala. I find it works so much better than anything else I’ve tried.
4. A glass nail file. While I do use conventional nail files when I’m taking down a lot of length, I always use this to finish up and/or just shape my nail. It cleans up any “bits” that are left from heavy filing and seals the nail preventing peeling.
5. Nail Envy by OPI. This is hands down the best nail strengthener I have used. I swear by it. It can be expensive but you can find good deals online. Recently they stocked them at Marshalls and TJ Maxx and I bought a ton. Some people don’t like this because it has formaldehyde and that freaks them out, so if you are one of those people, then avoid this. All I can say is that since I started using Nail Envy I have not had one nail break and that is highly unusual for me. I am not gentle on my hands.
6. Revlon Colorstay Base Coat. This is my current favorite base coat and again, I’ve tried a lot. Definitely helps polish last a long time. It’s thick so you need to let it dry a little longer than most base coats.
Winter Wonderland! I was inspired to do these for two reasons. 1. It’s cold!!!! 2. I was watching all the fantastic NFL games in the snow yesterday.
Barielle Exquisite Dance; Sinful Colors Snow Me White; Stamping plates BM 319 and BM 323
I don’t normally post pictures of anything other than my nails but I had to share this because it was so cool! This guy and about 3 of his friends were hanging out at the beach in Kapalua. It was amazing to snorkel with them. It’s difficult to tell in the photo but he was huge.
I’ve been on vacation in Maui this past week but I only picked up one Island Girl nail polish! This is Island Paradise. They have lots of great colors but nothing really unique. I just needed to re-do my manicure while there so I got this one. It’s not neon, but dries matte like one, so it needs a top coat.
Hi Funkstress-v! Yes, those are all my nails and my designs. Thanks for the follow. I’m on instagram @donnernails. I will follow you there once I get back to my tablet at home (I’m on a vacation right now). Your tumblr is great too!
Starry, starry night nails! ELF Sea Scape; Revlon Top Speed Celestial FX
Hunger Games, Catching Fire mani. This is what happens when you try to do a mani in 5 minutes over a week old color. It’s a mess, but I’m posting it anyway, because I have no shame! And I have so little time lately to devote to my nails.
Nicole by OPI Nothing Kim-pares to Blue over Sinful Shine Alfresco. Stamped with plates DRK-A and Cheeky Jumbo Plate 9 Wild At Heart. Inspired by my iPhone cover. I love how this turned out as you can tell from the photo overkill!!
Ruffian Hedge Fund; Art Club Gold Striper; Stamping Plate Cheeky Jumbo Plate 9 Wild At Heart. I received the Ruffian polish in an Ipsy Glam Bag. What a great polish! Love the color and the formula was fantastic.
Orly Fowl Play; FingerPaints Motley; FingerPaints Flashy. My friend said this reminds her of The Hunger Games Catching Fire. So, um yeah, let’s say that’s what I was going for :) I actually don’t like Orly Fowl Play even though it gets rave reviews from others. I’ll be gifting it to my friend.